Implementing OSPI’s Student Engagement Guidance
Since the early days of the COVID-19 pandemic, the Washington Office of the Superintendent of Public Instruction (OSPI) has published several documents that provide guidance to school districts on the continuity of learning and student engagement. As your Student Information System partner, WSIPC has been working closely with OSPI to help you comply with the guidance in your Skyward database, specifically as it relates to attendance tracking.
What are the details of OSPI’s guidance?
If you would like to read the full text of OSPI’s publications regarding continuity of learning and student engagement, you can access those resources here:
Here are some of the key points that are addressed in these resources:
- OSPI will waive instructional time for school closures due to COVID-19.
- Districts should establish a continuous learning plan to equitably provide learning opportunities for all students.
- Districts should establish a system in which they can gather and track attendance in terms of student engagement.
How does WSIPC help you implement OSPI’s guidance in the Skyward software?
WSIPC has published FAQ documents for both SMS 2.0 and Qmlativ that address in detail the scenarios that districts may encounter as a result of the new student engagement guidance. These FAQ documents are available through your Information Service Center.
Here is a summary of what you can do and/or expect from us:
- WSIPC CEDARS logic for the Student Absence File (N) has not changed due to COVID-19.
- Schools can create a new Absence Type (SMS 2.0) or Attendance Type (Qmlativ) to track student engagement and analyze the data using the Absence Occurrence Report.
- Teachers can use the new Absence/Attendance Type in Daily Attendance to indicate whether they are able make contact with each student on a periodic basis.
- Schools should only modify Calendar Days on days where no instructional services are provided to students.
A benefit of being a member of the WSIPC Cooperative is that we can use our combined resources to ensure your district is in compliance with legislative guidance and mandates.
WSIPC and your Information Service Centers are here to support you. We will continue to work closely with OSPI, and to make changes to your Skyward software to meet state guidance. To learn more, contact your Information Service Center.
WSIPC is a non-profit public agency that provides technology solutions (including SMS 2.0 and Qmlativ), services, and support to K-12 schools. WSIPC’s purpose is to help schools do more with every dollar and to empower them with the tools to work smarter. To learn how your district can become part of the WSIPC Cooperative, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 425.349.6600.
WSIPC. Inspired by education. Empowered by technology.TM